ONCA Barge is a community centred learning space that supports artist development, and offers a programme of creative activities addressing environmental and social change.
Located in Brighton Marina, the Barge hosts artist residencies within our dedicated artist studio space all year round. It’s also available to hire.
Visiting the Barge
Please email if you would like to pop in, as the Barge is not always staffed.
The address is: The Waterfront, Brighton BN2 5UU
- Local public transport: From central Brighton, the No 7 bus runs every 6 minutes daytime with the night bus running twice an hour throughout the night. Services 7, 21, 21B, 25C, 47, 52 & 57. 01273 886200 / buses.co.uk
- Parking: The Brighton Marina multi-storey car park offers free parking. Time limits and height restrictions (1.85m) apply
Once at the Marina: Head towards the area called the Boardwalk and follow signs to the Wetherspoons West Quay Pub. Once you locate the pub, head toward the boats. Look down and you should see ONCA’s bright red boat!
- Please note that at low tide the ramp from the Marina walkway down to the dock is steep for a wheelchair.
- Free tickets are always available for Personal Assistants – please let us know in advance if possible if you need a PA ticket.
- Some events are BSL interpreted – these are advertised in advance on our website. Also events can be BSL interpreted upon request – please email us for this service.
- There are 13 steps from the top deck to the lower deck.
For more information about access and facilities please click here.
Please contact or 01273 607101 if you have specific access needs.
About the space
The versatile upper deck is wheelchair accessible*, with large windows that look out onto the sea and the small fishing boats at the Marina. It is a flexible and inviting space, with access to a sink and kitchen facilities, and two wheelchair-accessible toilets.
The lower deck is split into two spaces: the larger is ideal for installations, screenings, performances and can also be used as a rehearsal space. The smaller is a studio or meeting space.
* Please note that at low tide the ramp from the Marina walkway down to the dock is steep for a wheelchair.
Hiring the Barge
- Top Deck: £120 per day / £17.50 per hour
- Lower Deck: £90 per day / £15 per hour
- Top Deck and Lower Deck: £210 per day / £30 per hour
- Artist Studio: £60 per day/ not available per hour
- Top Deck only: £100 per day / £12.50 per hour
- Lower Deck only: £80 per day/ £10 per hour
- Top Deck and Lower Deck: £180 per day / £20 per
- Artist Studio: £50 per day/ not available per hour
If you are interested in hiring the Barge, please make an enquiry through our online form. Once we have received your enquiry we will aim to get back to as soon as possible.
If you need an immediate response please call 01273 607101. If you require any assistance with filling out this form please feel free to ask us anything via email or call 01273 607101.
ONCA Barge is supported by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation