Creating Space for Change
Who we are
ONCA is a Brighton based arts charity that bridges social and environmental justice issues with creativity.
We promote positive change by facilitating inclusive spaces for creative learning, artist support, story-sharing and community solidarity.
ONCA Gallery works with artists, educators and organisations to co-deliver exhibitions, events and workshops that explore social and environmental issues.
ONCA Barge at Brighton Marina is a community centred learning space that supports artist development and offers a programme of creative activities in East Brighton.
What We Do
We raise awareness of Social and environmental issues through art
- Art for Social Change: We work with artists, activists and community groups to deliver exhibitions and events that explore and promote social inclusion and social change.
- Arts, Health & Wellbeing: We use art to explore and promote mental, emotional, social and physical health and wellbeing
- Climate & Culture: We produce and promote creative initiatives and cultural responses to the climate emergency
- Decolonising Art & Culture: We collaborate with artists of colour and POC-led organisations to curate and support events and exhibitions that challenge eurocentrism and racism within mainstream arts and culture
- Endangered & Lost Species: We use art to explore stories of extinct and critically endangered species, cultures and ecological communities.
We facilitate spaces for education & development relating to art, culture and the environment
- Artist Development: We promote opportunities for artists to develop their creative practices, receive professional guidance and engage in peer-led networking
- Education for Sustainability: We collaborate with learning organisations and artists to design and deliver creative activities that promote education for sustainability
- Environmental Justice & Activism: We work with local and global campaigners to promote community-led action & education for environmental justice
- Social Justice & Solidarity: We work with community organisers and campaign groups to promote education for transformative social change and liberation
We raise FUNDS TO SUPPORT ENVIRONMENTAL AND CREATIVE LEARNING PROJECTS
- Donations: We ask for donations to help us care for artists, work creatively with communities and welcome diverse audiences
- Fundraising: We work alongside a variety of artists, activists, volunteers, community organisations and businesses to host community events to raise money for our programmes and activities
- Space Hire: We hire out our Gallery and Barge venue spaces for exhibitions, events and co-working
- Memberships: We run a membership scheme which enables people to offer us regular financial support and enjoy a range of exclusive benefits in return.
JOIN & SUPPORT
You can support ONCA’s activities and development by making a donation, becoming a member or getting involved in our volunteering scheme.
Photo Credit: Debbie Bragg / Artwork Credit: Jenny Hooper & Chris Drury