Creating Space for Change
ONCA is a Brighton based arts charity that bridges social and environmental justice issues. With our public programme, we create inclusive spaces for collaborative learning, artist support and community solidarity.
Alongside our gallery venue, we manage the ONCA Barge at Brighton Marina, a community centred learning space that supports artist development and offers a programme of creative activities for young people and families in East Brighton.
Raising Awareness of Social and environmental issues through art
- Art for Social Change: We work with artists, activists and community groups to deliver exhibitions and events that explore social issues and promote social change
- Arts, Health & Wellbeing: We use art to explore and promote mental, emotional, social and physical health and wellbeing
- Climate & Culture: We produce and promote creative initiatives and cultural responses to the climate emergency
- Endangered & Lost Species: We use art to explore stories of extinct and critically endangered species, cultures and ecological communities
Facilitating spaces for education & development relating to art and the environment
- Artist Development: We promote opportunities for artists to develop their creative practices, receive professional guidance and engage in peer-led networking
- Community Arts: We support local artists, groups and organisations to deliver creative projects & events that promote social inclusion and community solidarity in Brighton & Hove.
- Decolonising Art & Culture: We collaborate with artists of colour and POC-led organisations to curate and support events and exhibitions that challenge eurocentrism within mainstream arts and culture
- Education for Sustainability: We deliver creative activities that promote education for sustainable development within the Brighton & Lewes Downs’ UNESCO World Biosphere region
- Environmental Justice & Activism: We work with local and global campaigners to promote community-led action & education for environmental justice.
- Volunteering: We provide opportunities for people to gain experience in a professional arts environment while supporting ONCA’s activities and development
- Resources: We produce and share free and accessible media resources to inspire creative, social and environmental learning and action.
RAISING FUNDS TO SUPPORT ENVIRONMENTAL AND CREATIVE LEARNING PROJECTS
- Space Hire: We hire out our Gallery and Barge venue spaces for exhibitions, events and co-working
- Charitable Donations: We ask for one-off and regular donations to help us care for artists, work creatively with communities and welcome diverse audiences
- Fundraising & Events: We work alongside a variety of artists, activists, volunteers, community organisations and businesses to host community events to raise money for our programmes and activities
JOIN & SUPPORT
You can support ONCA’s activities and development by making a donation, becoming a member or getting involved in our volunteering scheme.
Photo Credit: Debbie Brag / Artwork Credit: Jenny Hooper & Chris Drury