Visionary Fictions is ONCA’s ACE-supported summer programme celebrating sci-fi that imagines beyond dystopia.
The Collaborative Future Fictions symposium will celebrate a series of collaborative writing workshops inspired by the Camille Stories of Donna Haraway & co and the Visionary Fictions of Walidah Imarisha, adrienne maree brown & others held this spring at ONCA in collaboration with Uni of Brighton’s Planetary Humanities researchers and the Centre for Spatial, Environmental and Cultural Politics.
- String Figures – making poetry with Clare Whistler & Kay Syrad
- ‘From inventions to stories – sci-fi narratives & brave new worlds inspired by futuristic technology’ – writing with Karla Marie Sweet
- ‘Octavia’s Brood in the context of the history of sci-fi and social change; sci-fi as a practice ground for social justice vision and strategy’ – Presentation by Walidah Imarisha (via Skype)
- Live illustration by Jacob V Joyce
- Other experiments in collaborative writing.
2. Scratch/ open mic night from 7.30pm.
Performing artists include:
- Bea Xu
- Sol Howard
- Animus Mundi
Book your space here.
This event is directly preceded by an eco-scenography workshop led by Andrea Carr of HOAX.
Image: Octavia Butler by Jacob V Joyce