Visionary Fictions is ONCA’s ACE-supported summer programme celebrating sci-fi that imagines beyond dystopia.
The Collaborative Future Fictions symposium will celebrate a series of collaborative writing workshops inspired by the Camille Stories of Donna Haraway & co and the Visionary Fictions of Walidah Imarisha, adrienne maree brown & others held this spring at ONCA in collaboration with Uni of Brighton’s Planetary Humanities researchers and the Centre for Spatial, Environmental and Cultural Politics.
This will be an event in two parts:
1. Artist-led workshops between 3 & 6.30pm:
- String Figures – making poetry with Clare Whistler & Kay Syrad
- From inventions to stories – writing with Karla Marie Sweet
- Presentation by Walidah Imarisha (via Skype) – Octavia’s Brood in the context of the history of sci-fi and social change; sci-fi as a practice ground for social justice vision and strategy
- Live illustration by Jacob V Joyce
- Other experiments in collaborative writing.
2. Scratch/ open mic night from 7.30pm.
Performing artists include:
- Bea Xu
- Sol Howard
- Animus Mundi
For the scratch night, we are looking for stories – experimental/ collaborative/ visual/ oral ways of telling them – that explore or envision non-dystopian futures. If you would like to share something, please email email@example.com with your idea/ expression of interest by June 15.
Book your space here.