The next course will start in September 2018, with Louise Gibson. Date and fees TBA, for more information or to be added to the waiting list please email email@example.com or call 01273 607101.
BSL teacher Kwame Afrik and assistant facilitator Louise Gibson will be running a BSL (British Sign Language) Level 1 course at ONCA on Tuesday evenings, 6-8pm. Then from 8-9pm, Louise will be running relaxed conversational sessions at the pub or other social setting, encouraging students to practise BSL in the ‘real world’. This is an integral part of the learning.
This fun and friendly course will equip you to communicate with Deaf people, using basic sign language skills in a variety of situations. It could help you talk to a deafened family member, a Deaf friend, a Deaf colleague or meeting Deaf people in a social environment.
The topics and overall skills you will be learning on this course include:
- Fingerspelling the alphabet, your name and where you are from
- Numbers, calendar, dates, times and colours
- Explain directions, different modes of transport and how you arrived
- Talk about friends, family and pets
- Hobbies, interests and everyday activities
- Describe people, objects and buildings
- Compound signs and Directional verbs
- Practice receptive, presentation and conversational skills
Above: BSL Level 1 class of 2018