Course fee: £300 / 19 September – 13 March
**This course is now full – details of our next course TBA**
BSL teacher Kwame Afrik and assistant facilitator Louise Gibson will be running a BSL (British Sign Language) Level 1 course at ONCA on Tuesday evenings, 6-8pm. Then from 8-9pm, Louise will be running relaxed conversational sessions at the pub or other social setting, encouraging students to practise BSL in the ‘real world’. This is an integral part of the learning.
The course will run term-time for 21 weeks, concluding with an assessment after which students achieve Level 1 and are qualified to move onto Level 2 if they choose.
This fun and friendly course will equip you to communicate with Deaf people, using basic sign language skills in a variety of situations. It could help you talk to a deafened family member, a Deaf friend, a Deaf colleague or meeting Deaf people in a social environment.
The topics and overall skills you will be learning on this course include:
- Fingerspelling the alphabet, your name and where you are from
- Numbers, calendar, dates, times and colours
- Explain directions, different modes of transport and how you arrived
- Talk about friends, family and pets
- Hobbies, interests and everyday activities
- Describe people, objects and buildings
- Compound signs and Directional verbs
- Practice receptive, presentation and conversational skills
The course costs £300 inclusive of all materials, activities and assessments.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 607101 to book your space or use the link at the top of the page.
Term dates 2017:
1. September 19
2. September 26
3. October 3
4. October 10
5. October 31
6. November 7
7. November 14
8. November 21
9. November 28
10. December 5
11. December 12
12. December 19
13. January 9
14. January 16
15. January 23
16. January 30
17. February 6
18. February 20
19. February 27
20. March 6
21. March 13