Lost Species Day 2020 online gathering: How can remembrance practices for extinct species address systemic injustice? Understanding the links between species extinctions and racism
The intention of the Lost Species Day 2020 online weekend gathering and open call is for participants to spend time learning together, building connections and moving forward in clear and energised ways that embed anti-racism in all Lost Species Day activities from here on. Expect a programme of online conversations and workshops exploring how ecological remembrance can or does contribute to and strengthen the intersectional environmental movement. The aims of the weekend are:
- Exploring questions: How can rituals for the Anthropocene be fit for the purpose of addressing colonialism and white supremacy? How can organisers re-shape DIY rituals of remembrance to do no harm?
- Community building: Meeting each other and sharing projects and practices; making space collectively for emotions such as grief through dialogue, art and DIY rituals
- Visioning: Asking what should this project look like on its 10th anniversary next year, and beyond? Reflecting together on Lost Species Day and shaping it into something fit for the future
– People working to decolonise environmentalism & conservation
– Anyone who has been involved in Lost Species Day
– Anyone interested in DIY rituals, or practices around death and dying
OPEN CALL FOR WORKS TO SHARE ONLINE
We envisage that the programme for Sunday 29 and Monday 30 November will consist of a series of rituals, films, readings, talks and workshops led by participants around the world, including short discussions and sharings of art works and creative projects. If you would like to share your work as part of this online RDLS2020 gathering, please email by 15 November, 2020, with a short proposal that explains how your work or practice relates to the theme of the gathering.
- Friday November 27, 7- 9pm: opening event
- Saturday November 28, 4 – 7pm: environmental justice film programme & discussion
- Sunday November 29, 11am – 11pm and Monday November 30 daytime (exact times TBC): open call for rituals and creative contributions
- Monday November 30, 6 – 8pm: co-created ritual and closing
All event listings are in UK times and TBC. Eventbrite & Zoom links to follow