LEAD ARTIST SOUGHT FOR SUMMER SCHOOLS PROJECT
ONCA and So Sussex are collaborating on an exciting summer project working with four East Brighton schools to create signage and sculptures for Brighton’s Undercliff Path between May and September 2019.
About the role
We are looking for a lead artist to work with us on the sculpture component. The purposes of the project are for participating children aged 9 – 12 to:
- Learn about the marine conservation zone that runs along the seabed directly offshore from the Undercliff Path
- Get active outdoors with local nature on the beach, and enjoy their local environment
- Co-design creative signage and sculpture that draws attention to the marine life in the area
At the end of the project, the signs and sculptures will be fabricated and installed on the Undercliff Path, with a celebratory event for all participants.
Preferred skills & experience:
- Experience of making public art work
- Experience of working with groups of children
- Creative approach to participatory process, facilitation, and building on children’s ideas
- Current public liability insurance and a current DBS check
- A passion for environmentally and socially engaged working practices
- Artist fee £250 per day for up to ten days May – September, inclusive of travel (-timetable and number of days to be determined through dialogue upon recruitment)
- Separate materials budget, to be determined through dialogue upon recruitment
How to apply
If you would like to apply, please email with your CV, links to relevant work, and a cover letter or video link saying why you are interested. This is an environmentally-themed project, so proposals should bear this in mind.
ONCA is an equal opportunities employer. We acknowledge structural exclusion in the arts, and are actively striving to make ONCA a more inclusive organisation. We are keen to encourage applications from people who may face barriers to employment in the arts (e.g. BME, LGBTQ+, disabilities).
Deadline to apply: midnight, 17 April. Interviews: week commencing 23 April
Posted on March 25, 2019